Thursday, June 2, 2011

Social Ambitions

Photo: Truman Capote c/o theselvedgeyard

One of my favourite books is In Cold Blood by Truman Capote and so you can probably guess that I almost died when I stumbled across this gem in Sunday afternoon hunting. Basically (and clearly I'm paraphrasing) the story goes, Capote wrote In Cold Blood and made quite a bit of money out of it's success. Instead of taking this in a humble manner he decides to throw what has been termed (and this is not a paraphrase) THE PARTY OF THE CENTURY. Love it.

There is definitely something about Truman Capote that makes you squirm, obviously his trademark high pitched voice doesn't help the situation but it's definitely more than that. I. Just. Can't quite put my finger on it. Anyway the story goes that Truman Capote threw the party for his publisher Kay Graham and all the celebrity greats of the time showed up.  Three president's daughters, Jackie Kennedy's sister and Frank Sinatra and Mia Farrow, all at the Plaza Hotel, all night long. I can't imagine a writer of this age inspiring such an iconic event.

 Photo: Candice Bergman by Elliott Erwitt c/o christies
Photo: Princess Lee Radizwell, sister of Mrs. John F. Kennedy, wife of the late President c/o theselvedgeyard

 Photo: Mia Farrow with five months of Frank Sinatra c/o astonishing

No comments:

Post a Comment